Due to the unsertian situation we find ourselves in as a nation NYMCM will be taking a short pause to evaluate the best steps for moving forward on our May 16th Spring Market. We hope to have more answers by April 7th.
For more information visit: https://notyourmamascraftmarket.com/2020/03/14/moving-forward-and-coming-together/
FAQ’s (and answers)
Spring Market Overview:
Not Your Mama’s Craft Market at Village Valuables
Saturday, May 16, 2020
Schiller Park Recreation Center, German Village
8:30a – 3p
This Market is an indoor and outdoor Market.
What is the History of NYMCM?
NYMCM has been around since 2012. Starting in Marysville, Ohio then moving to Columbus in 2014 NYMCM quickly became a beloved Holiday staple in the city. NYMCM continues to be voted one of the top 10 shopping events in Columbus year after year.
HOW MANY SHOPPERS ATTEND YOUR EVENT?
Each and every year we have been blessed to see incredible growth. We estimate our attendance at 2,500 – 3,500 shoppers at this event.
WHEN CAN I APPLY?
- Apply NOW!
- Applications are open February 14th – March 17th.
- Acceptance emails will be sent no later than March 31st.
- All contracts and payments must be received by April 10th.
* Interested in being a sponsor? Email us at email@example.com
WHAT ARE THE FEES TO APPLY, BOOTH SIZES AND PRICES?
- Nonrefundable $15 application fee to apply
- Indoor or Outdoor 6’ wide x 5’ deep – $110
- Indoor or Outdoor 8’ wide x 5’ deep – $135
- Indoor or Outdoor 10’ wide x 10’ deep – $160 (very limited spaces available) Must provide your own tent.
- Indoor or Outdoor 10’ wide x 10’ deep shared tent – $140 (very limited spaces available) Must provide your own tent.
Booth payment is not required until you have been accepted as a vendor and will be collected via Paypal. Payments will be due by April 10th.
WHAT DOES THE BOOTH FEE COVER AND INCLUDE?
Your fee covers venue costs, promotional materials including posters, digital and print ads and other costs required to put on a Market. Many Makers will also be featured and tagged on our social media pages and on our website leading up to and during the market.
ARE TABLES AND CHAIRS PROVIDED?
Tables and chairs are not provided.
WHAT IS YOUR PAYMENT / REFUND / CANCELLATION POLICY?
Accepted Makers will receive a Paypal link in their acceptance email. A nonrefundable booth payment must be paid via Paypal no later than April 10, 2020. If booth payment is not made by April 10th, your space will be given to the next vendor on the waitlist. Again, once your payment is made it is nonrefundable. If you find that you need to cancel your commitment to vending at the market, please contact us right away so we can contact another Maker on our waiting list. Cancellations will be considered a forfeit of your spot in the Market. Trading or selling your space to another Maker is prohibited. We have a long waiting list, and reserve the right to fill spots.
WHEN CAN MAKERS SETUP AND TEARDOWN?
We are offering indoor only Makers Friday evening and Saturday morning setup for this event. Friday evening setup begins at 5:30p and ends at 8:30p. We must vacate the building by 9p. Saturday morning setup begins at 7am for both indoor and outdoor makers. However, due to parking constraints, makers will be assigned a setup time based on their individual needs. A questionnaire regarding individual setup needs will be sent out to makers once we have concluded the application process. All indoor makers are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the Friday evening setup opportunity.
Makers must be ready to sell no later than 8:10a. Any Makers arriving after 8:10a will not be allowed to set up. Teardown will start no earlier than 3p. All makers must be out of the venue by 4:30p.
HOW DOES YOUR JURY WORK?
The NYMCM jury consists of 5 members, each of whom is active in handmade small business. After the application period closes, application fee payments are confirmed. If the fee has not been paid the application is considered incomplete and discarded. All paid applications are then sorted by genre and individually scored according to the criteria outlined below. The top scorers are compared within their genre and chosen to join the markert. A number of vendors in each category are offered a spot on our waitlist as cancellations often happen for personal reasons.
WHAT CRITERIA AND QUALIFICATIONS DO YOU LOOK FOR IN YOUR APPLICANTS?
Our market is juried by select members of our staff and other individuals in the local makers scene, whose opinions and tastes we value and trust. Together we review the pool of applications thoroughly and handpick the artists that are the best fit for NYMCM. We thoughtfully and carefully choose applicants based on a number of criteria, listed below. Also, check out our social media pages to see what Makers we have chosen in the past.
- Your work is designed and made by hand. Please provide information in your application if your products aren’t entirely made by you or by hand.
- Your work overall is cohesive and consistent, and you provide clear examples for us to view.
- Your work is unique. If you are a returning vendor, your work has progressed since participating. We always want to offer our customers fresh ideas.
- The average price of your items typically range between $1-$150 and reflect a good value/price ratio. Typically, you know what your work is worth!
- Your web pages provide clean and clear photos that are cohesive with the quality of NYMCM and can be easily shared for media purposes.
- You show that you are good at following directions and reading provided information. Like this list:)
- If you are a pre-packaged edibles Vendor, you offer unique packaging and flavors and have a well designed booth. We expect artisanal food vendors to live up to the same levels of integrity and quality with their products and displays as our other craft participants.
I WAS A NYMCM MAKER IN THE PAST. DOES THIS MEAN I’M GUARANTEED A SPOT THIS YEAR?
What makes NYMCM such a unique market is our desire to bring our customers the newest and most current trends in handmade every year. To do this we need a vast variety of Makers at each market along with new merchandise. This is why we hold such a rigorous application process. We LOVE having return vendors but we give them the same jury process as everyone else. We check to see what new products they are offering and also discuss what kind of Maker they were in the past. Did they help share Market info online? Were they easy to work with? Did they follow all of our rules and deadlines?
I APPLIED IN THE PAST AND WAS NOT ACCEPTED. SHOULD I EVEN TRY APPLYING AGAIN?
Heck yes! As stated in previous answer, we are always looking for new Makers. We have to turn down so many fantastic Makers simply due to space each market. This year we have twice the opportunities for Makers as we have ever had!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A WEB PAGE OR SOCIAL MEDIA PAGE FOR MY BUSINESS?
As much as we love to accommodate all Makers we highly depend on digital exposure for the all around success of our markets. We do not require an expensive website or thousands of posts or followers of our Makers but we do require some sort of internet presence. This makes promoting, collecting promotion material and communication much easier on our end. A simple Instagram or facebook account or Etsy page is perfect! If you do not have an active online page, NYMCM may not be the right fit for you.
Do you allow Direct Sales Businesses?
No we do not. No exceptions made. If you pay the application fee and apply with a direct sales business you will not be refunded.
CAN I SHARE A BOOTH WITH ANOTHER MAKER?
Yes. BUT we require that each Maker apply and be approved individually by our jury. Any vendors who have not been approved and still set up at the Market will be asked to leave. This will be outlined in the Vendor’s Agreement and will be rigorously enforced.
AFTER APPLYING INFORMATION:
WHEN AND HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED IF I HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AS A VENDOR?
Vendor selections will be made no later than March 31st. Notification emails regarding acceptance will all be sent by this date. We ask that no emails inquiring about the status of your application be sent before March 31st. If you have not received a notification email by this time please check your spam inbox and then email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
WHAT IF NYMCM CAN NOT PROVIDE ME WITH THE BOOTH SIZE I APPLIED FOR?
NYMCM tries to accommodate all requests but because of limited space cannot always give vendors the size of booth they request on their application. In these cases NYMCM will offer Makers a smaller sized booth. Makers have the option to take the smaller booth space or have their name moved to the waiting list for the booth size requested. We highly suggest taking the smaller space as we have few cancellations. Makers will be notified of booth size upon receiving an acceptance email.
IWHAT IS REQUIRED OF ME IF I AM CHOSEN TO BE A VENDOR?
- Watch your inbox! We try not to overload Makers on emails. When we do email you it is usually full of lots of important information. Please take the time to read these emails and file them to refer to later. It is very time consuming for us to respond to questions already addressed.
- Prepare your booth space. We are known for showcasing Makers with the most outstanding booth displays. Don’t get lost in the crowd by preparing the look of your display early. Presentation is just as important as your products. We highly suggest making a tape outline of your booth dimensions on the floor and doing a mock up of your space. Remember YOU have to fit in the space too! No extra room outside of your booth is available for your display. All vendors must bring their own table and chairs. A floor-length table covering is required for all tables. Check out our Pinterest Board for ideas.
- Vendors will be given digital marketing tools for social media use. We require vendors to share these marketing materials on their social media.
I HAVEN’T DONE MANY MARKETS. HOW DO I PREPARE?
Do your research! There are many great books, blogs and networks out there to help you move forward with your business. We would love to have the time to help each Maker personally figure out how much product to make, how to set up their space, and how to price their items but with over 100 Makers and 100s of hours it takes to put on a market, unfortunately we cannot. We can, however, direct you to our Pinterest Page that has many resources for Makers. Upon acceptance we can also add you to our private Makers FB page where you are welcome to post questions.
More questions are welcome at: firstname.lastname@example.org